My family lives in North Auckland, New Zealand, on a rural property which provides the space and inspiration for my art, photography and writing as well as a wonderful and unique environment to explore and appreciate nature.
I adore animals and our menagerie includes dogs, free range chickens, pet Gotland Pelt sheep and rescued Kunekune pigs. Many beautiful birds frequent our native bush and seeing wild geese fly overhead in their perfect formations never ceases to amaze me.
My art studio is nestled on our property under a stand of mature Puriri trees and at the base of covenanted bush - teeming with life which I have great respect for.
I genuinely believe small everyday decisions can make a difference to our environment and that every individual can too. These beliefs form part of my art practice and I am passionate about working in an environmentally responsible way.
Some of the steps I am currently implementing in my life and in my studio include:
- Increasing the use of recycled and found objects in my artwork
- Using art supplies which have a low environmental impact and are cruelty-free to animals
- Recycling packaging materials and using packaging from NZ company FriendlyPak which produces compostable materials
- Being an active custodian for covenanted bush on our property which has native flora and fauna
- Re-wilding an area around a large pond on our land
- Supporting individuals/businesses with sustainable philosophies
- I am a proud member of The Jane Goodall Institute New Zealand and Forest & Bird.